Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Writer's Life

The transformation is complete. I have adopted vices to comfort my tortured soul as I excavate its depths to invoke the raw emotions of life onto the page (actually it's diet root beer and a bubble gum cigarette, which, for any of you that have seen Stranger Than Fiction, I do happen to save and wrap in a tissue for later use).
The documentary is really coming together. It's incredible to work on the full spectrum of a film, from concept to writing to creation to production. We've interviewed a lot of interesting people and seen the effects animal-assisted therapy has on the health and quality of life of countless people. I definitely want a dog now. A big one. And since animals love people unconditionally I think I'll be set. Would we could all exemplify animals in that respect. The best part of this unique summer project is listening to Brandi Carlile as we drive to our shooting locations and appointments, and then taking a two-hour break in the middle of the day (we know how to embrace our European heritage) to try new kinds of cheeses (the grocery store just put in a new deli) or watch old episodes of Friends. I'm sorry to say since I have none of my own I've been watching ones on tv. Anyway, life is good and there are more projects in the works. Who knows what grand adventures life may hold? I just know that in about a month I'll be homeless and headed to Europe with a backpack and notebook, and whether or not I come back awaits to be known...
All right, I'm trying to sound like a romantic. I'll be back. I don't have a visa to work there, but if I did...

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I suppose if you end up going missing in Europe it would be an interesting story, at least. If I could get my hands on your journal, I could publish your memoirs, and become filthy rich. I could also sell your clothes and shoes to roving pixies...