Saturday, September 1, 2007

Walk Like A French Woman

After almost a week in Paris I think I finally have the French strut and pouty lips down, but I fail on the style part (there's only so much I can do with a backpack of clothes). I must admit French women have an arrogant elegance about them. I went to Versailles on Thursday. My favorite part was the beautiful grounds - so big I took a nap in a little grove of trees where none of the tourists found me. Friday I went to Rouen and connected with my warrior sister Joan of Arc, then that night I walked along the bridges and saw the Eiffel Tower all lit up. Early Saturday morning I left my hostel to find a lady and two gentlemen dressed in 19th century clothing. I thought my dream to travel back in time had come true until I saw the film camera down the cobblestone walk. I took a train to the Loire Valley where all the French castles are and I ate my lunch in front of Chambord castle under a tree. It was like a dream. Besides the shower that shuts off after 30 seconds and a hostelmate that likes to chew her food as loud as possible after we're all in bed, the hostel's not so bad. It's interesting waking up in the morning and not knowing what time it is or when to get up. I think the French church bells are lazy. They don't always ring when they're supposed to. Not like the Swiss bells. Well headed to Nice on Monday and Tuesday hiking in the Cinque Terre. I'm looking forward to my 3rd and final country.

No comments: